Tuesday, January 12, 2010

At Their Worst Conversation

Pre-Script: "Do I contradict myself? Then I contradict myself." I'm not real sure this thought is totally fleshed out, but it was just a conversation idea that got rolling. So - take each paragraph for what it is and says and it might not flow too well with the next, but, hopefully, you'll get the picture.

I wonder when are people at their worst? What does it look like for different people? Where are they at their worst? Is it a home, work, school? Only with certain people? Only when certain things happen? When are you at your worse, and what makes you that way, and are you okay being your worse in front of people or do you let it go behind closed doors?

I think there are a lot of ways to be at your worst. For instance, I am certainly at my food worst right now as I sit here on the bed and have proceeded to eat almost an entire pan of rice krispie treats (non-fat "I can't believe it's not butter" and natural peanut butter of course, but . . .) I feel like I just gave up and said, "Fat, take me now!" But it's not like I'm in a bad mood or anything, which would be another form of my worst. When I'm in my worst mood, I usually hold it in until I'm by myself. I'll mope around, spend time by myself, read and watch things that make me even more depressed. **Speaking of, I have read two really disappointing books in a row. I love them and hate them at the same time. But that's for a different blog.** But usually, around people I try and watch my attitude and perspective.

NOW - the real conversation that sparked this rather unusual and not fully explored topic is this: At the Red Lobster the other day, my friend (okay, we all know it's Anna) was wondering why she didn't like cucumbers but she liked pickles so much. I simply stated it was because pickles are cucumbers at their worst and we all tend to like the food that is worst for us. That got us on the topic of food at its worst. For instance, I'd say M&M's are peanuts at the worst, ketchup is a tomato at its worst - fried apple pie from the McD's would have to be an apple at its worst - chicken that has been fried and served with walffles and syrup would have to be chicken at its worst - to take the pickle even further, I'd say it's at its worst when it's "hot" and weighing in at about a pound and a half, stuffed into a bag complete with juice, and served at the movies. I mean, you might as well just suck on a salt shaker. And the list can go on from there. So, we see all these things at their worst, but we still accept them and still treat it as everyday life until we make the choice not to.

It's a constant battle not to be or accept your worst. As a teacher, I can't accept student's worst effort, I want the best. As a child, my parents didn't accept my behavior when it was at its worst. They expected the best, and if I showed them the worst, I'd get the worst. So, there are some things we don't accept the worst in: food, grades, work ethic, children's behavior. But, let's flip the coin. What do we accept?

If I sit down with my friend at dinner and see what they order is the worst for them and making them unhealthy, is that acceptable? Because if I sat down with my friend at dinner and their mood was at its worst that would not be acceptable because it makes me uncomfortable. If a celebrity or political leader I like is at their worst, do I say "Well, what do you expect? They have had such difficult circumstances and pressure," but, it's unacceptable for the homeless guy to be rude? So, which "worst" can we live with and get by with and which do we need to battle?

The last quesiton I have is do we accept the worst as a natural part of life that everyone feels, everyone goes through, or do we have to constantly beat it down and say it's not right to be at our worst? I know it's not socially correct to be at your worst in public, but if everyone does it, feels it and thinks it, is it fair to go along and pretend it isn't there? And how dare we judge others at their worst and expect their pity at seeing ours?

No comments:

Post a Comment